Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sporting tip: Can't stand 'em? Bet 'em

I learned a valuable and profitable lesson that offered me some comfort last October. My undying hatred for the city of Boston and especially the Red Sox led me to do something rather unorthodox. Sensing they would win the World Series with the baseball gods on their side, I knew I had to do something to ease the pain. So it dawned on me that I could actually benefit from my own misery by putting money on them, figuring that hedging my bet would let me win either way.

I am not much of a gambler so I did not front that much money, but 50 bucks in your pocket is 50 bucks. When the Red Sox were celebrating on the field in Colorado, my TV had long been turned off, but my wallet was a little fatter. I knew the entire baseball season was a waste, but at least I was a tad richer for it.

I also experienced the other end of the spectrum with this past Super Bowl. I bet the Patriots assuming a perfect season was a lock for them, and assumed it'd be a few more easy dollars. But when Tom Brady's desperation heave fell incomplete on fourth-and-20, I was emotionally richer although financially poorer. Nevertheless, the joy of seeing the Patriots' run at perfection spoiled was well worth the small amount of money I put on them. Once again, I was set either way. In all honesty though, this was better than winning a little pocket cash.

If you like to make the stakes a little higher, then you can probably cope with your hated team winning even better. If you're like me, petty cash offers at least some solace. Just moments ago I happened to catch online the fact that the Red Sox rallied from five runs down to shock the pathetic Rangers, which for me was like watching the same movie for the hundredth time. But the other day I bet the Sox to both win the AL pennant and the World Series, so I figure this charmed existence they are living will at least throw a few dollars my way at season's end.

Bottom line here folks is, if you're as passionate about sports as I am, you have at least two or three teams you hate with every fiber of your being. I've never been a proponent of the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" cliche, but this may be the exception. Place a small (or large) bet on your most hated sports teams, and either way you'll come out richer. For me, I hope by the end of October I am emotionally richer and financially poorer. But money is money, right?

1 comment:

Sami Ghazi said...

Hey thanks for the comment. I lost the time to be able to keep up my blog, but always am supportive of an Orioles fan...I'll keep reading